* This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
With Valentine's Day coming up, you might be looking for something sweet to serve your sweetheart. If not, then maybe you just want to indulge in something extra tasty after completing Whole30. For me, I don't need any excuses to dig into something warm and chocolatey after dinner.
Way back when, I shared a super tasty flourless chocolate skillet cake. It's fudgy and sweet and deserves a generous scoop of ice cream to put on top. That dessert is a show stopper and even fairs well in the refrigerator for a few days to be reheated into individual servings in the microwave.
But some of you like to keep fats and sugars to a minimum - I do too, most of the time. So I've reworked the recipe so that you can also enjoy this treat. I promise you, you will never miss the extra fat or sugar! And my favorite part about this dessert is that I ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand.
Flourless Chocolate Skillet Cake [Reduced Fat and Sugar]
Recipe by a traveling Wife
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, slowly melt chocolate morsels and butter in 30 second intervals in the microwave.
- Once completely smooth and melted, mix in applesauce, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Completely mix in three large eggs until well combined.
- Stir in cocoa powder until incorporated.
- Spray a 10 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Pour in cake batter and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a solid crust has formed on the top.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes and serve with a generous helping on ice cream on top.
Like I said, this dessert is best served with a generous helping of your favorite ice cream. It's a great treat to share with your loved one or just eat on your own. If you don't eat the entire skillet cake in one sitting, cover your skillet with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. You can then warm up individual servings in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave (about 20-30 seconds).
What are you making for Valentine's Day?
What kind of ice cream would you put on top of this chocolate skillet cake?