I am dedicating today's recipe to the power of blueberries - the fruit that can decrease your risk of heart disease. It's delicious by the handful, in a smoothie, or on top of your morning bowl of oatmeal. Most of us love them and probably overlook all of their benefits.
We hear daily about dozens of superfoods like chia seeds, kale, acai, goji berries, hemp seeds, etc, but we must not forget about blueberries. Blueberries are full of fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin B6 - they are high in nutrients. More the reason to indulge in a few extra blueberries when you are looking for a snack.
Now let's move on to the recipe - Blueberry Oatmeal Bake. Breakfast is what I look forward to each night that I go to bed. But let's face it, most mornings don't allow for an overindulgent meal resulting in a boring breakfast.
You can pre-make this Blueberry Oatmeal Bake and store in the fridge all week. Enjoy a slice cold or warm, topped with a bit of greek yogurt. Your taste buds and stomach will be happy.
Click to tweet: Make ahead, vegan, and no added sugar Blueberry Oatmeal Bake - it's what's for breakfast.
Blueberry Oatmeal Bake [Make Ahead, Vegan, and No Added Sugar]
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18-22 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 166 Calories | 15 g Carbs | 10 g Fat | 5 g Protein | 5 g Sugar
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Almond Butter
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Frozen Blueberries
- *optional topping: Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, chia seeds, and salt.
- Add almond butter, peanut butter, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla to oatmeal mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Add in frozen blueberries and combine well.
- Press oatmeal mixture firmly into a 9 inch pie pan (you could use an 8x8 square baking pan but this will require additional time in the oven).
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until oatmeal bake is set.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes prior to digging in.
- *Optional: top each slice with cool greek yogurt.
- Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
What is your favorite breakfast?
What types of superfoods do you try to incorporate in your life?
What is your favorite way to eat blueberries?