Donut lovers unite! And bring along your chocolate loving friends. Today's post isn't going to be filled with any fluff because I just want to get to the recipe. It's just like getting ready for a run or any workout - the more you procrastinate, the longer it will take you to finish. So stop procrastinating and start enjoying these good-for-you donuts.
These Chocolate Beet Protein Post-Run Donuts are filled with good fats, lots of protein, and a substantial amount of carbs to help you recovery properly after your tough workouts. You'll hear all types of ratios, depending on who you are talking to, in regards to how much carbs and proteins you should be consuming after working out. But I think it will be unanimous that you SHOULD be getting an adequate amount of protein within 30-60 minutes of your sweat-sesh. And in case you were wondering, these donuts have a 3:1 carb to protein ratio, which help restore glycogen levels and impact lean muscle mass growth. *I am not a registered dietician. Please consult a professional when it comes to your fitness, nutrition, and health needs.
Last October, I shared the benefits of beets with a beet brownie recipe. Those beet brownies and these chocolate beet protein donuts share all those amazing benefits - can help lower blood pressure, increase stamina, and reduce swelling. Those are all winning benefits in my book.
Whoever you make these post-workout donuts for won't be able to tell you didn't buy them from a bakery. The glaze on the outside gives the donuts a nice bite and subtle sweetness that all donuts just must have!
Chocolate Beet Protein Post-Run Donuts
Cook time: 8-10 minutes
Yield: 6 donuts
Macros per donut: 190.5 calories | 26 g carbs | 6 g fat | 9 g proteinIngredients
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I used Market Pantry® Vanilla Whey Protein Powder)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Beet Juice
- 1/4 cup Protein Almond Milk, unsweetened vanilla (I used Orgain®)
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 - 8 tablespoon Protein Almond Milk, unsweetened vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients together - AP Flour, Vanilla Protein Powder, Cocoa Powder, White Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt.
- Make a small well in the middle of dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients to the well - Egg, Beet Juice, Almond Milk, and Greek Yogurt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, slowly melt together Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels and Coconut oil on high in 15-30 second intervals. Once melted, add melted chocolate mixture and vanilla extract to donut batter and mix in until well incorporated.
- Place donut batter in a piping bag or sandwich bag to help fill donut pan.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray and fill 2/3 full. These donuts will rise.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until donuts spring back to the touch.
- Allow to cool in donut pan for at least 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add powdered sugar. Slowly mix in Protein Almond Milk one tablespoon at a time until desired thickness for glaze.
- Dip cooked donuts into glaze or drizzle glaze on donuts with spoon.
- Allow glaze to set then enjoy!
What is your favorite post-workout recovery snack?
Did you previously know about all the wonderful benefits of beets?
Love this recipe? Check out my previous post-run protein packed donuts.
Don't forget to Pin this for later.