While most people have decided to make some fitness improvements by working out and eating healthy, others are continuing on with their healthy journeys that they started years ago. I too thought about making some changes only because I was oh so bad during the holidays. Eat a cookie, gain a pound - that was pretty much how November and December went for me.
I spent a lot of time looking at Whole30 and how that might be beneficial for me. I even went as far to gather 30 days of recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This was a very time-consuming process to really narrow down recipes that would help A and I succeed at Whole30. Come to find out, Whole30 is really not for us. Care to hear the story?
Who's to say that Whole30 or pursuing a Paleo lifestyle isn't for you? Despite my findings that I'm just not really into the whole Paleo / Whole30 lifestyle, I went ahead and made some grain-free granola that is both Whole30 and Paleo friendly. I urge you to give this a try and if you don't follow a specific diet, enjoy the granola on top of yogurt or ice cream!
If you don't know what Whole30 is, you can read all about it here. But basically, you can only eat real food. So no more sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, carrageenan, MSG, sulfites, and do not recreate sweets, junk food, or 'treats'. Before you roll your eyes and question what CAN someone actually eat then, you can definitely eat this grain-free granola!
Grain-free Granola [Whole30 & Paleo Friendly]
Recipe by a traveling Wife
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 cups Unsalted Almonds
- 1 cup Unsalted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Pitted Medjool Dates
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1-2 tablespoons Water (check instructions)
- *Optional: 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (by adding this, your recipe will not be Whole30 compliant)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Soak nuts in water for 1 hour.
- Add cranberries and dates into a shallow bowl and add enough water to cover dried fruit for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse nuts until water runs clear.
- Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add one tablespoon of water at a time if needed to thin mixture out a bit.
- Spread mixture onto lined and greased (using coconut oil) cookie sheet.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Turn oven off and leave cookie sheet in the oven for an additional 60 minutes.
- Store grain-free granola in air tight container.
What are your fitness goals for 2016?
What do you like to put granola on?