am not one to turn down a few goodies here and there. I mean, remember the huge bags of candies I purchased during my spell book tutorial? I agree 100% with the 80:20 lifestyle - 80 percent clean and 20 percent anything else.
That is when the two ingredient cupcake was born and I topped it with festive mummy OREOs. These are a perfect black and orange combination for Halloween.
You read that right - two ingredient cupcakes. I saved you the hassle of having to break out all of your measuring utensils, but more importantly, I just cut out more than half of your dishes. You can thank me later. Can you guess what two ingredients you'll need?
If you guessed store-bought white cake mix and orange Fanta soda, then you guessed correctly. Just take the cake mix out of the box and mix in the Fanta soda. Hello - have you ever met a simpler dessert in your life?
Now if you thought the cupcakes were beyond simple to make, wait until you see how to make the super adorable mummy OREOs.
I used edible googly eyes, OREOs, and white chocolate bars to make the mummies. The bakers chocolate is pretty easy to work with - I just microwave it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each round until it was super smooth.
Then I dipped one side into the white chocolate and placed the googly eyes on top. I allowed the chocolate to dry prior to adding the second layer of chocolate - the layer that will create the mummy folds.
I used a decorator press to create the mummy folds but you would get the same effect if you placed the melted white chocolate into a sandwich bag and cut one of the corners off.
This might be the most difficult part of making cupcakes, but I am all about that homemade frosting. For this particular frosting I used butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and a splash of Fanta soda for flavoring and color. Once the frosting is whipped up well, I dare you not to eat the entire bowl with a spoon.
Put everything together and you have a spooky delicious and festive treat. Enjoy!
Luckily, my local Safeway had most of the ingredients I needed right down the center aisle. And lucky for you, there is an exclusive offer to save $1.50 when they buy (1) Fanta mini-can or 8-pk 12 oz. bottles AND (1) Nabisco Cookie or Cracker (4.5 oz. or larger, any variety.) - see store for more details.
- 12 ounces orange Fanta soda
- 1 package white cake mix
- Preheat oven according to cake mix packaging
- Line muffin tray with paper or spray
- Mix soda and cake mix until all clumps are removed
- Fill muffin tray until each is 2/3 full
- Back according to cake mix packaging
Fanta Cream Cheese Frosting
enough for 24 cupcakes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons orange Fanta soda
- Blend cream cheese and butter until smooth in a large mixing bowl
- Slowly incorporate icing sugar until smooth
- Mix in vanilla extract and Fanta soda
- Set aside until cupcakes have cooled
- while chocolate bars
- google eyes
- Melt chocolate according to packaging, or 30 seconds at a time in microwave safe bowl
- Dip one side of OREO into melted chocolate
- Add two eyes to the white chocolate
- Once completely dried, place more melted chocolate into a decorator press or sandwich bag and pipe mummy folds onto the OREO
Have you started making holiday snacks yet?
What is your favorite type of frosting?
What is your favorite Halloween treat? There are a ton more fun ideas here.